This chopped salad recipe is adapted from The Mozza Cookbook: Recipes from Los Angeles’s Favorite Italian Restaurant and Pizzeria by Nancy Silverton with Matt Molina and Carolynn Carreño. Pizzeria Mozza can be found at the Treehouse Hotel in Marylebone in London’s West End.
The salad makes for a delicious accompaniment to Nancy Silverton’s goat’s cheese pizza with leeks and pancetta. Follow it with her luxurious butterscotch budino for dessert.
- Total time 25 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- red wine vinegar 2½ tbsp
- dried oregano 1 tbsp
- lemon 1⁄2, juiced
- garlic 2 cloves, 1 smashed flat, 1 crushed
- whole black peppercorns ground to make 1⁄4 tsp
- extra-virgin olive oil 100ml
- red onion 1⁄2 small, halved and thinly sliced
- iceberg lettuce 1, cut into ½cm strips
- radicchio 1, cut into ½cm strips
- cherry tomatoes 340g, cut into quarters
- chickpeas 320g tin, drained
- provolone 100g, thinly sliced
- salami 100g, thinly sliced
- peperoncini 5, cut into thin slices, or pickled jalapeños chopped to make 1 tbsp
- lemon 1⁄2, juiced
- dried oregano, to serve
Put the onion in a small bowl of ice-cold water while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
For the vinaigrette, whisk together all of the ingredients, plus ½ tsp of fine sea salt, in a small bowl, seasoning to taste. Drain the onion and pat dry with kitchen paper. Combine the lettuce, radicchio, tomatoes, chickpeas, provolone, salami, peperoncini and onion in a large, wide bowl. Season with salt to taste, and toss thoroughly to combine.
Drizzle 6 tbsp of the vinaigrette over the salad, then sprinkle with the lemon juice, tossing gently to coat the salad evenly. Taste and add the remaining 2 tbsp of vinaigrette, plus any salt or lemon juice to taste. Transfer the salad to a large platter or pile up on individual plates. Sprinkle some oregano on top to serve.
- kcals 188
- fat 13.7g
- saturates 4.2g
- carbs 7.1g
- sugars 3.1g
- fibre 3g
- protein 7.5g
- salt 0.8g